Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
Yummy! This is my all-time favorite homemade candy. I love the combination of buttery toffee with nuts and chocolate! It's REALLY EASY to make- you don't even need a candy thermometer for this one. Sometimes I use pecans instead of almonds and I love it that way, too. Feel free to substitute your favorite nut for the almonds- just chop them up small.
Top Review by springyhotmail
Candy recipes need precision. This recipe yielded a gooey product that would not set to a hard crack... (can we say "hard crack stage"?) There are MUCH better recipes out there.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook butter and sugar in a skillet over medium heat until sugar has completely melted, about 2 or 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add almonds and continue cooking and stirring for another 2 or 3 minutes, just until the almonds begin to brown around the edges.
- Pour mixture into a well greased (butter) 13x9 pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over hot mixture. Wait a minute or two until they are soft and melting and spread them evenly over the top. Chill until firm, break into pieces and hide it from everyone so you can have it all for you!
- NOTE: This stuff is really good broken up as a topping for homemade vanilla ice cream and on top of cakes or in the filling between layers.