Recipe by murciana02
I adapted this recipe from Betty Crocker...I send it as my son's snack for school and he loves them! They can be baked as breakfast cookies instead of bars. I freeze mine and take out night before or morning of.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter or 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons salted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄8 cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 jumbo egg
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted almond butter and salted butter)
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips or 3⁄4 cup craisins or 3⁄4 cup raisins or 3⁄4 cup any other dried fruit
- 3⁄4 cup toasted chopped almonds (chop almonds and toast in a pan over medium heat)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl cream together brown sugar, butter, almond butter, vanilla, and egg until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl sift or whisk together the whole wheat flour, ground flax, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the creamed butter mixture until well combined, scraping sides of bowl.
- Stir in oats, chips, and toasted almonds.
- Press into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. If using a bar pan or making cookies bake for 10-15 minutes. Bars are done when the sides are golden brown.
- Cool completely and cut to desired size.
- Store in an air tight container.