Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- Beat egg whites until very stiff.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until of meringue consistency.
- Fold in flour and whole almonds.
- Put in lightly greased, lined loaf tin.
- Bake in a 325 degrees oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Leave in tin until completely cold.
- Take out of tin and wrap in foil and store in refrigerator for one or two days.
- With a very sharp knife cut loaf into wafer thin slices.
- Place on cookie sheets and put in slow oven (250 degrees) for about 45 minutes, until dried out. Cool and store in airtight container.
- Will keep for 3 or 4 months.
This was really nice! It was easy to make and even easy to slice thin which surprised me, Will be a nice gift idea too. Will make again for sure.
I made this for the first time and it came out great. I will be making more later this week to go in the christmas hampers. I used my deli slicer to cut them 4mm thick, wasn't sure if they could go thinner and didn't want to risk ruining them. I may try with a few in my next batch. I cooked them the second time for about 35 minutes, though I may cook for less next time as they got a bit of colour. Thanks for posting this easy recipe.
I have been making this for years and it is beautiful I make it at christmass and add red and green cherries for taste and a festive feel.I made this by mistake with self raising flour only thing i had to do was slice a bit thicker and toast a little less but it turned out fantastic.Alot less heavy.