Recipe by Nadia Melkowits
Every time I make Crème brûlée I am left with egg whites that I wonder what to do with. And one day I came across a biscotti recipe that I liked but with a few changes became even better.
- 1⁄2 cup almonds meal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat sugar and butter in medium bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Add egg whites and almond extract; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl; mix well.
- Stir egg white mixture and almonds into flour mixture until well blended.
- Spray 8X8-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Spread dough evenly onto bottoms of pans with wet fingertips. Bake 15 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove from oven; turn out onto cutting board.
- As soon as loaves are cool enough to handle, cut each loaf into (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on baking sheets covered with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 5 minutes; turn over. Bake 5 minutes more or until golden brown. Serve warm or cool completely. Store in airtight container.