Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A lovely cookie to go with coffee.
- 1 cup blanched whole almond, toasted and chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and extracts together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended.
- Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until a dough forms, adding almonds about halfway through.
- With floured hands divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each half of dough into a log about 10 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- Transfer logs to the prepared baking sheet, spacing the logs about 3 inches apart, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal.
- Arrange evenly on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container.