Prep 25 mins
Cook 41 mins
The original recipe is from BH&G, I have tweaked it to suit our taste.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole almond
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets;(I use parchment paper), set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add eggs and egg yolks to the well; stir into flour mixture. Add butter (cooled). Stir until dough starts to form a ball. Stir in nuts.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three equal portions. Shape each portion into a 14-inch-long log. Place logs about 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets; flatten logs slightly until about 1 1/2 inches wide. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm and light brown. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks for 15 minutes.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board. Use a serrated knife to cut each roll into 1/2 inch-thick slices.(Do not saw, gently press down) Place the slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes. Turn slices over; bake for 8 minutes more or until crisp and golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 84 cookies.
- To store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or freeze for up to 3 months.