Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from Taste of Home Magazine. Sugared almonds give them a crunchy topping. When strawberries aren't in season, use individual frozen cut strawberries.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced almonds, divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup almonds and egg white.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar; toss to coat.
- Spoon into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in the strawberries and remaining almonds.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Sprinkle with sugared almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.