Recipe by postmakathie
A Christmas Bar Cookie favorite at our house.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
We really enjoyed your bars, & with one exception, I make the recipe pretty much as given ~ I did, however, top the bars with half a cup of chopped almonds AND half a cup of coconut! Wonderful little tasties! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond paste
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup nuts, chopped or 1 cup coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, margarine, and sugar together; press into 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and add 2 teaspoons of sugar and vanilla.
- Mix remaining sugar, almond paste, egg yolks, salt, and lemon juice.
- Fold almond mixture with egg white mixture and put on top of baked crust. Sprinkle with nuts or coconut.
- Bake 30 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.