Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Dense cake-like cookie with delicate almond flavor. Search here for almond paste recipe if you can't find it in your grocery store.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9x9 pan, line with foil, then butter the foil.
- In food processor, pulse almond paste until broken in small bits, then add 1/4 c sugar and salt, processing 1 minute more.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and remaining sugar, 3 minutes.
- Add almond mixture, egg yolk, and almond extract, beat 2 minutes more.
- Reduce speed, then add flour. Mix until combined.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and brush with egg white.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Cool in pan 1 hour.
- Cut into 25 squares.
I have made these several times and they are always delicious. If you like almonds you will love these.
Made these for Christmas and they were a big hit. They are delicious and will become a welcome addition to my holiday baking.