Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Almonds are my favorite nut, and this recipe explains why. :) From the Almond Board of California.
- 1 cup chopped natural almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 large)
- 2 eggs
- icing (optional)
- Spread almonds in shallow pan and place in 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Mix flours, germ, sugar, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon in large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, bananas and eggs.
- Pour banana mixture into flour mixture, add almonds and mix.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees, 45 minutes, or until pick inserted comes out clean.
- Glaze with icing.
- Cut into bars.
This is a delicious cake! I made it as directed and the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because it would never fit in a 9-inch square cake pan. It filled my 9x13 pan and it is more like a cake than a bar IMHO. I loved the taste and made a cream cheese frosting with almond extract and sprinkled slivered almonds over the top. I will make this again, but if I want bars I will have to put in in a jellyroll pan or a cookie sheet with sides. Thanks, Carole in Orlando