Prep 17 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sweetheart loves asparagus more than just about any vegetable. We found this recipe and he asks for it all the time when fresh asparagus is in season. We hope you'll like it too:)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus, bottoms trimmed
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (5 ounce) jarkraft old English cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed crackers (Waverly wafers or Ritz are best)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Boil asparagus for a few minutes (or steam in microwave steamer) then cool.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a sauce pan, then add flour, salt and milk; mix over stove until thickened.
- Add jar of Old English cheese and mix together over stove until completely melted.
- Add 4 tablespoons melted butter to crushed crackers and mix.
- Spread half the mixture on bottom of 9x13" pan sprayed with Pam.
- Place asparagus on top of cracker layer.
- Pour cheese mixture over top; add remaining crackers and 3/4 cup toasted almonds.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until slightly brown.