Recipe by Theresa/ Thunderbird
This recipe is from the new Country Woman Christmas issue,they sure look good!
- 2 packets dry yeast
- 1⁄3 water (110-115)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk (110-115)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped apricots
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl,dissolve yeat in water.
- Add the milk,oil,sugar,eggs,salt,nutmeg and 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add apricots and almonds.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic,about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl,turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place till doubled,about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down,let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Roll into 15x12 inch rectangle.
- Cut into 3x1 inch strips.
- Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise until doubled,about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks.
- For glaze combine the powdered sugar,vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Brush over warm logs.