Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics.
FOR THE BREAD
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 198.44 g package apricot baby food, with mixed fruit (minus 1 tablespoon of it set aside for the glaze)
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml milk
- 44.37 ml canola oil
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 158.51 ml sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml dried apricot, diced
FOR THE GLAZE
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- 14.79 ml apricot baby food
- 4.92 ml milk
- 0.59 ml almond extract
- FOR THE BREAD ~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder & salt.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of the baby food for a glaze.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg, 3/4 cup milk, oil, 1 teaspoon almond extract & the remaining baby food, then stir this mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in the almonds & dried apricots & pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR THE GLAZE ~ Combine the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of the apricot baby food, 1 teaspoon of milk & 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract, mixing until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled loaf.
Absolutely delicious bread! Nice and moist with great flavor. I made mine in 4 mini-loaf pans and they cooked in about 45 minutes. I just brushed a light coat of the glaze over the loaves instead of drizzling. Great recipe - thanks for sharing it!
Very tasty and easy. Bread was done in 55 minutes, with a photo-perfect crust. Made for Went to the Market tag.