Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics.
Top Review by loof
Absolutely delicious bread! Nice and moist with great flavor. I made mine in 4 mini-loaf pans and they cooked in about 45 minutes. I just brushed a light coat of the glaze over the loaves instead of drizzling. Great recipe - thanks for sharing it!
FOR THE BREAD
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) package apricot baby food, with mixed fruit (minus 1 tablespoon of it set aside for the glaze)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, diced
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon apricot baby food
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE BREAD ~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder & salt.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of the baby food for a glaze.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg, 3/4 cup milk, oil, 1 teaspoon almond extract & the remaining baby food, then stir this mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in the almonds & dried apricots & pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR THE GLAZE ~ Combine the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of the apricot baby food, 1 teaspoon of milk & 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract, mixing until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled loaf.