Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I've worked this recipe to use the fewest number of pans and for easiest clean up.
- 2 ounces sliced almonds
- 1 small onion
- 2 ounces raisins or 2 ounces sultanas
- 2 ounces vermicelli
- 8 ounces long grain rice
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- olive oil (for frying) or butter (for frying)
- Heat oil in large non-stick frying pan. Add onions and fry over moderate heat soft.
- At the same time in a medium pan bring a small amount of salted water to boil. Cook pasta until tender (about 3 min) Drain thoroughly, and rinse with cold water. Empty into a bowl for later.
- Add raisins and rice to the onions and saute 2-3 minutes (add oil as needed). When finished transfer to the now empty medium pan. Add the vegetable stock and bring to boil. Cover and reduce to a very low heat for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In the now empty frying pan add a bit more oil and brown the almonds over moderate heat. After the first few are going dark brown and most are at least golden empty onto a paper towel and pat dry.
- If needed add more oil and add the vermicelli and fry. You want small clumps of toasted noodles ideally. It adds a nice texture to the meal.
- If the rice finishes first leave covered but remove from heat. When ready stir almonds and vermicelli into rice and serve.
- If you know you're not going to eat it all at once. Serve the rice on the plate and then stir in a portion of the almonds and vermicelli. Refrigerate the left over rice, store the almonds and vermicelli seperately.
- To reheat: add a tablespoon of water to the portion and reheat in microwave stirring frequently. When hot add almonds and vermicelli.
Quick and easy to make with great results...
I was really suprised at how well the onions, raisins, and almonds went together. Truly delicious, and not something I would have tried otherwise! It was a little difficult for me to switch pans as suggested. Also, I wasn't quite sure of how to toast the vermicelli, so I kind of skipped that, but I can see how that would add a very nice textural element.