A very light cake perfect to have with a cup of freshly brewed coffee! This recipe is based on a recipe that my dear Mother passed on to me - the only difference between the 2 recipes is the addition of almond essence and slithered almonds.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs - one at a time and beat well.
- Add the warm water and almond essence.
- Add sifted flour and baking powder.
- Stir well to make a mixture that will spread evenly in 20cm diameter tin.
- Sprinke with slithered almonds.
- Arrange sliced plums on top.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven for approx 20 minutes at 160'C.
A trip down memory lane :) This reminded me so much of a recipe my mother used to make too. We had this for dessert while still slightly warm with some softly whipped cream. The almonds take this to a higher level. Yum!! :) Mine did take longer than the 20mins stated to cook but that could be my oven. A real keeper for us . Thanks Karin :)