Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An Italian style cake. Regular all-purpose flour or a gluten-free flour blend can be used. If using gluten-free flour use a good quality blended flour that includes a gum or add in 1 teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum with the flour. USe either a flan tin or a pie plate suitable to serve from. You can make your own almond meal by grinding blanched almonds in a coffee mill or food processor until finely ground. Tinned pears can be used if fresh are not available but fresh fruit give a preferable result.
- 150 g butter
- 177.44 ml caster sugar
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour or 354.88 ml gluten-free flour
- 14.78 ml baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 118.29 ml almond meal (almond flour)
- 3 pears, peel quartered and finely sliced
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 118.29 ml sliced almonds
- Grease a 30cm flan tin or a pie plate that you can directly slice and serve from. Preheat oven to 18OC.
- Using electric beaters, beat butter, sugar and lemon zest until creamy and pale in colour.
- Continu beating and add the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and almond meal. Fold in the xanthan or guar gum at this point if you are using gluten-free flour that does not already contain a gum.
- Spoon half of this mixture into the flan tin. Spread to cover. Reserve the remaining half of the mixture. Arrange the pear slices over the base. Spread the pears out evenly. They usually need to be slightly overlapped. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the pears.
- Spread the remaining cake batter over the top of the pear layer and then scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes or until tested as cooked with a skewer.
- Allow the cooked cake to stand for at least 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve warm with fresh cream, warm custard or ice-cream.
This cake was fantastic! I used a fluted quiche dish. I needed to bake the cake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Note: The batter is thicker than you might expect. It takes a little doing to spread it around.
This recipe resulted in very delicately flavored sweet cake. It is very good. I love the way the pears tasted in it.