Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Rich nutty-creamy cake
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 1⁄2 ounces melting dark chocolate (100g)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees Celsius.
- Grease 2 round 7" cake pans and line the bottoms with baking parchment.
- Whisk the eggs and superfine sugar in a large mixing bowl for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is light and foamy.
- Fold in the ground nuts, strain the flour and fold
- Pour into the pans.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top of one of the cakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- Let the cakes cool slightly in the pans then transfer to wire rack to cool completely Melt the chocolate, remove from heat and stir in the butter and almond extract, fold in the cool whip and mix.
- Cover the bottom cake with filling and place the almond-covered cake on top.
- Chill for at least an hour and dust with confectioners' sugar.