Recipe by Tish
This recipe combines with Spiced Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup With Almond and Ginger Matzo posted separately
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup ginger ale
- 1 cup unsalted matzo meal
- peeled fresh ginger (1 1/2-inch-thick round)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place margarine in medium bowl.
- Blend almonds, salt, sugar, ginger and pepper in food processor until nuts are finely chopped; mix into margarine.
- Whisk in eggs and ginger ale; stir in matzo meal.
- Cover and chill 1 day.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil; add fresh ginger.
- Drop batter onto sheet of foil in 16 equal mounds.
- Using wet hands, shape mounds into smooth balls and drop into boiling water.
- Cover pot tightly.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook matzo balls until very tender throughout, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer matzo balls in single layer to 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- *Can be made 2 days ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Rewarm by steaming for 20 minutes on vegetable steamer rack over boiling water.