Recipe by Happy Harry #2
This is a light, fluffy dessert that would top off any dinner and gather lots of kudos! It came from Tom Cowman's Cookbook and passed on to me by a wonderful gentleman cook
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pint heavy cream
- whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- slivered almonds, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sugar, butter, egg yolks, and half & half into a heavy 2-qt. saucepan. Place over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until it comes to a slow rolling boil. Let boil 2 minutes, still stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Strain into a bowl and put that bowl into a larger bowl containing ice. Continue stirring until mixture is cool.
- Add extract, Amaretto, and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Whip cream, then fold into mixture.
- Whip egg whites until stiff (not dry), then fold into mixture.
- Fill wine or champagne glasses with mixture. Cover with plastic wrap & chill.
- When serving, top with a little whipped cream & a sprinkle of almonds.