Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 4 lbs eggplants
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 5 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus more
- sunflower oil, for baking
- * 1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Prick the eggplants repeatedly with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake, turning to prevent burning, for 45 minutes. Cool. Peel or scoop out the flesh into a colander. Drain and press out the juices, then chop the flesh with a knife and mash it with a fork.
- * 2. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mash the feta cheese. Add the eggs, matzoh meal, 5 tablespoons of the Gruyere and 4 tablespoons of the oil. Beat well.
- * 3. Add the eggplant and mix. Pour the mixture into an oiled baking dish, drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil over the mixture, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and bake for 1 hour, until lightly colored.