This is a moist, buttery apple cake. The dough is best made the night before, put in the fridge and then filled and baked the next morning.
- To Make the Dough:.
- In a food processor, process butter, egg yolks and sour cream or cream.
- Add the flour, dry yeast and sugar. Process until dough is light and does not stick to the sides of the processor.
- If the dough is too moist, add a bit more flour, if too dry, add a bit of milk.
- Cover and put in the fridge overnight.
- Take the dough out of the fridge about 1-2 hours before you bake it, so the dough can soften a little.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius and greas a rectangular baking dish.
- Cut the dough in two, and roll out to the size of your baking dish and place one part inches.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Grate the apples and squeeze all the juice out.
- Put apples on top of walnuts.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and cinnamon.
- Put the other half of the dough on top.
- Brush with a beaten egg and prick with a fork in a few places to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for around 35-40 minutes.
- Cool in baking dish.
- Great served with cream!