Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this pie in an edition of BH&G which I recieved during a cookbook swap here on zaar. I really liked the flakey crust and the yummy filling.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 3/4 lbs)
- 295.73 ml flour (I used spelt)
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 0.25 ml salt
- 78.07 ml butter
- 73.94 ml ice water (might need more)
- 59.14-118.29 ml brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like your pie, original recipe called for 1 cup)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 177.44 ml whipping cream
- 7.39 ml allspice, ground
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 0.59 ml salt
- 4.92 ml orange peel, finely shredded (optional)
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Boil until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain and mash with a potato masher. Put aside.
- For the crust: In a big bowl combine flour, sugar, 1 ts allspice and the salt. Cut in butter (using a knife or your fingers) until mixture resembles coarse sand. Sprinkle 1 tbs of the ice water over the flour mixture and gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tbs of ice water at a time, until all mixture is moistened (you might need more than 5 tbs).
- Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten the dough. Roll out into a circle of 12 inches in diameter.
- Transfer dough to a 9 inch pie plate. If you have any extra dough, fold it under. Crimp edges as desired. Do not prick the dough.
- Preheat oven to 190°C/ 375°F.
- For the filling: From your sweet potato mash measure 1 1/2 cups. In a medium bowl combine this, brown sugar, cream, eggs, 1 1/2 ts allspice, vanilla, orange peel (if using) and salt.
- Pour filling into prepared pie plate.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. NOTE that you might have to cover the pie after 25 minutes or so to prevent overbrowning.
What a tasty sweet potato pie Lalaloula. We really enjoyed this quick and easy to make treat. My dh & I really enjoyed the texture of these light and subtley flavored tarts. I made 20 tarts out of the filling, sooo good. They were wonderful served with a little coolwhip. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will make often.