1/2 Photos of Allspice Sweet Potato Pie (Bh&g)
1 hr 20 mins
I found this pie in an edition of BH&G which I recieved during a cookbook swap here on zaar. I really liked the flakey crust and the yummy filling.
My Private Note
9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 3/4 lbs)
- 1 1/4 cups flour (I used spelt)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons ice water (might need more)
- 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like your pie, original recipe called for 1 cup)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice, ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded (optional)
- 1Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Boil until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain and mash with a potato masher. Put aside.
- 2For the crust: In a big bowl combine flour, sugar, 1 ts allspice and the salt. Cut in butter (using a knife or your fingers) until mixture resembles coarse sand. Sprinkle 1 tbs of the ice water over the flour mixture and gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tbs of ice water at a time, until all mixture is moistened (you might need more than 5 tbs).
- 3Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten the dough. Roll out into a circle of 12 inches in diameter.
- 4Transfer dough to a 9 inch pie plate. If you have any extra dough, fold it under. Crimp edges as desired. Do not prick the dough.
- 5Preheat oven to 190°C/ 375°F.
- 6For the filling: From your sweet potato mash measure 1 1/2 cups. In a medium bowl combine this, brown sugar, cream, eggs, 1 1/2 ts allspice, vanilla, orange peel (if using) and salt.
- 7Pour filling into prepared pie plate.
- 8Bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. NOTE that you might have to cover the pie after 25 minutes or so to prevent overbrowning.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Allspice Sweet Potato Pie (Bh&g)
Serving Size: 1 (975 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2451.4
- Calories from Fat 1293
- Total Fat 143.7 g
- Saturated Fat 85.0 g
- Cholesterol 965.0 mg
- Sodium 1438.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 249.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 79.3 g
- Protein 43.7 g