2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'William-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 lbs boneless duck breasts
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece peeled fresh ginger, grated (1 inch piece)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise, broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 6 baby bok choy, each cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- 2In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- 3Rub the mixture all over the duck breasts.
- 4Place in the pot, skin side down, and sear, turning once, until well browned, 4-5 minutes per side.
- 5Transfer to a plate.
- 6Pour off all but a thin coating of fat from the pot.
- 7Add the onions, garlic, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and star anise and saute over med-high heat until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 8Add the broth and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pot bottom.
- 9Stir in the sugar, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce and bring to a boil.
- 10Return the duck breasts to the pot.
- 11Partially cover and cook over very low heat for 1 hour.
- 12Uncover and skim the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid.
- 13Arrange the bok choy around the duck breasts, pushing it slightly into the cooking liquid.
- 14Partially cover and cook until the duck is very tender and the sauce is thick, about 30 minutes.
- 15Cut the duck breasts on the diagonal into thin slices and arrange on a platter with the bok choy.
- 16Spoon the sauce over the top and serve.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Allspice Duck With Braised Bok Choy
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.3
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 308.4 mg
- Sodium 953.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 58.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: