1 hr 10 mins
Dorie Greenspan, 'Baking: From My Kitchen to Yours'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1Center a rack in the oven; preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffins cups.
- 3Alternatively, may use a silicone muffin pan, which needs neither greasing nor paper cups.
- 4Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.
- 5Streusel-add flour, brown sugar, and allspice to a bowl; sift them through our fingers to blend.
- 6Add the bits of cold butter and toss to coat, then use your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until you've got irregularly shaped crumbs.
- 7Set aside in the refrigerator for the moment (you can make the crumbs up to 3 days ahead and keep them covered in the refrigerator).
- 8Muffins-in a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice, and salt.
- 9Stir in the brown sugar, making certain there are no lumps.
- 10In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the melted butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla together until well combined.
- 11Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend.
- 12Don't worry about being thorough--the batter will be lumpy, and that is just as it should be.
- 13Stir in the lemon zest, if using.
- 14Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- 15Sprinkle some streusel over each muffin, then use your fingertips to gently press the crumbs into the batter.
- 16Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- 17Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for about 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Allspice Crumb Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1010 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.0
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.6 mg
- Sodium 162.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g