Recipe by FloridaNative
Recipe from the 2003 Texas Gatorfest, these sound tasty. Serving sizes and yield are estimated. Prep time includes 10 minutes 'stand' time. Posted for ZWT5.
Top Review by wicked cook 46
I would give 5 stars plus but I changed the recipe a bit LOL I used chicken finely chopped instead of alligator. Plus when I went to get creamed corn I was out UGH so I kind of made my own using regular canned corn and heavy cream whirled in the food processor ( I actually liked the flavour of this better LOL) But other then that made as stated but cut the recipe in half. These were so delicious . We like them drizzled with honey. I served them with recipe#373266#373266 and recipe#177849#177849. Made for ZWT 5 Cajun region for team ZAAR CHOW HOUNDS
- vegetable oil (for deep frying, about 2 quarts)
- 1⁄2 lb alligator meat, diced (tail)
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil to 365 F in a deep fryer, or per manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a skillet, sauté alligator meat until done. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients, mixing well. Add sautéed alligator and stir to blend. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Use a serving spoon to scoop up tablespoon size pieces of batter and gently drop them into the oil; rinse and dry the spoon as needed to keep the batter from sticking.
- Cook the hush puppies, 8 to 10 at a time, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and roll on paper towels to briefly drain. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.