Recipe by PotatoFan
This is the trail mix for people who are allergic to nuts and/or chocolate but still crave the sweet/crunchy taste! Frustrated for years at not being able to buy trail mix, I decided to share what I came up with. As U2 would say, I think it's "even better than the real thing"! The carob chips add a bit of fat, but, for non-chocolate eaters, they add that extra something you need here. If you can have chocolate, I recommend using dark choc. chips instead (no sat. fat!), but you may want to up the cranberries to 1 cup for sweetness. These are rough proportions--adjust to your taste.
- 1 cup unsweetened dried banana
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup salted sunflower seeds (be sure to get seeds not cooked in peanut oil)
- 1⁄2 cup carob chips or 1⁄4 cup dark chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Break banana chips into small (1/2 inch) pieces and place in a quart-size plastic storage bag or container with lid.
- Add cranberries, sunflower seeds, and carob or chocolate chips to the bag or container.
- Close bag or container and shake gently to mix.
- Taste mix and adjust ingredients to your level of salt/sweet and soft/crunchy.