Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Re-done to be gluten free. I realized how versatile this can be. Not only is this gluten free, it's also soy free. Just make sure you read the contents on the chicken broth. You can also leave out the mushrooms and make cream of chicken soup.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until tender.
- Combine flour and broth until smooth, stir into the mushroom mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minute or until thickened.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in the cream, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often.
This is great! I have missed being able to do easy cassaroles since I found out I'm gluten intolerant. This is the perfect solution. The only thing I did different was use potato starch instead of cornstarch (I'm also allergic to corn). Thanks for a great alternative!
I have been missing out on a lot of yummy casseroles because of my celiac disease. No more thanks to this delicious and easy soup. I didn't have rice flour so I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour instead. I made the soup ahead of time and had it on hand when I put my casserole together. The recipe makes enough for at least two if not three casseroles. Excellent!
This was totally fantastic! Used it for stroganoff. The change I made was to use soy milk instead of evaporated milk.