Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was inspired by Maple Frosting, which is hands down the best frosting I've ever made or tasted. Because of my daughter's allergies I had to modify it, and eventually got to enough variations to deserve a separate recipe. This version is thick, smooth, and shiny. As written this is lactose free, gluten free, egg free and nut free. Contains soy and corn and Crisco which is vegetable shortening but NOT certified gluten free. **Since everyone has different allergies, please substitute whatever you cannot eat or serve.** This will frost about a dozen regular sized muffins or cupcakes, double it to frost a cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Crisco (or other shortening that you can tolerate)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup (usually this is Maple syrup but that's too strong for the lemon flavor)
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence
- 1⁄8 cup soymilk (I use vanilla, but you can use whatever)
- Mix powdered sugar and salt.
- Beat in shortening with hand mixer.
- Beat in corn syrup and lemon essence.
- Add milk 1 Tbs at a time and beat to desired consistency (mine usually takes 2 Tbs).