Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Just a lovely Chiffon Cake
- 1 1⁄8 cups cake flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7⁄8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, grated
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Sift the first four ingredients together, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Set dry ingredients aside.
- Beat together in a small separate bowl, oil, two egg yolks, cold water, vanilla, grated rind.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquids.
- Beat with a spoon until smooth.
- In a mixer bowl beat the 1/2 cup egg whites with tartar, and beat until stiff.
- Pour the batter over the egg whites and fold all together gently until combined.
- Do not stir.
- Sprinkle the grated chocolate over the mix, and fold in just lightly.
- Pour into ungreased tube pan.
- Bake until top springs back when touched.
- This should be about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Place upside down on a rack so cake hangs and is free to cool.
- When cold, loosen with knife around edges.
- Remove, decorate and serve.
- This can be frosted with seven minute frosting, seafoam frosting, a sifting of powdered sugar, and served with berries is nice.