Recipe by A Messy Cook
Scrumptiously moist and delicious, sweet and spicy, simple and wholesome: contains no refined grains or sugars, just lots of good stuff like raisins, honey, and wheat germ. You've got to try this bread!
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup currants
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter and honey together in mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, applesauce, and maple extract (if using) and beat well.
- Combine next six ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in separate bowl; stir in raisins.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stirring until combined.
- Bake in greased 5x9 loaf pan at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until tests done.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack; wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight before serving.
- This bread freezes well, so double the recipe and save one for later!