Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Scrumptiously moist and delicious, sweet and spicy, simple and wholesome: contains no refined grains or sugars, just lots of good stuff like raisins, honey, and wheat germ. You've got to try this bread!
- Beat butter and honey together in mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, applesauce, and maple extract (if using) and beat well.
- Combine next six ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in separate bowl; stir in raisins.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stirring until combined.
- Bake in greased 5x9 loaf pan at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until tests done.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack; wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight before serving.
- This bread freezes well, so double the recipe and save one for later!
This is one of the best fruity-bread recipes I have tried. Very light loaf with loads of flavor.
Sorry, this didn't work for me, either. I didn't really taste the applesauce, used 1/2 cup honey & even upped the cinnamon but it really didn't get the good, wholesome taste I was hoping for. Thanks anyway!
This recipe sounded really good, but I have to say I was disappointed in the result. My family didn't care for this bread. Although the texture was great and it was very moist and looked great, the taste was just so so. I had hoped it would have more apple taste. All I could taste was the wheat germ and the whole wheat flour. It had quite a bland taste to me. It needs something, I just can't put my finger on it though. As another reviewer mentioned, it needs more of a spice kick.