Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
A rich, highly palatable rendition of the enchilada tradition. Goes great with a crisp garden or caesar salad and a side of refried beans.
- Boil chicken in salted water until tender and loosened from bone (be sure entire chicken is submerged in the water).
- Bone chicken and dice the meat. Let cool.
- While chicken is cooling, dice onion and chilis, and shred cheese (set aside 2 cups of cheese for topping).
- Mix onion, chilis, cheese, sour cream, and olives in a large bowl. Add chicken and mix coursely. (reserve 4 cups).
- Grease two 13" baking pans on all sides. Heat one tortilla at a time over open gas flame.
- Fill with 3-4 Tablespoons of chicken mixture and roll leaving ends open.
- Place seam-down in the greased baking pans (if using electric oven, open each 1 doz. package of tortillas and heat for 12 seconds in microwave and fill with aforementioned ingredients while hot).
- Continue process placing each enchilada in pan. The enchiladas should fit snuggly against each other.
- Place 2 cups of chicken mixture over each pan of enchiladas. Smooth evenly to retain moisture.
- Top with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Bake covered at 325 degrees F. for 42 minutes.
- Remove cover and return to oven for 6 minutes to gently toast cheese.