Recipe by Nicole McBride
After reviewing many diet soup recipes I adapted my own recipe. All diet soups are very versatile, if you don't like a certain vegetable just leave it out and add more of another. I make a batch of it on Sunday night and eat it for lunch and dinner. I have even snuck it to my husband with the addition of meatballs. He has no clue it is a "diet" soup. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 2 (1 ounce) envelopes dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 zucchini, sliced
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen cut green beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat add oil, celery and onions to a large stock pot. Saute until tender.
- Add garlic, salt & pepper, cook an additional 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoe juice, bouillon cubes, water, onion soup mix and balsamic vinegar.
- Add cauliflower and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, cabbage. Cook for 5 - minutes.
- Stir in spinach and green beans. Cook until desired doneness is reached.
- You may add a bit of water to achieve the soupy consistency that you like.