1 hr 15 mins
Lori Ann D's Note:
My mother-in-law and I just came up with this recipe while making Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. The beauty is that you can choose the cooking method that works best for you... stove top, oven, or crock pot--and they are nearly impossible to mess up. Fix and forget! We both agreed these are the best sweet potatoes we've ever had!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & sliced (or 2-3 15-oz. cans, drained)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup apple cider or 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (optional) or 1 cup frozen cranberries (optional)
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup pecans (whole or chopped)
- 1Peel and slice sweet potatoes (or drain cans).
- 2STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS: Melt butter in large pan over medium heat.
- 3Add sweet potatoes, apple cider/juice, brown sugar,cranberries (if using) and a shake or two of salt and pepper.
- 4Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot. Reduce heat and continue cooking and stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender (approximately 45 minutes, but time will depend on thickness of potato slices). These can remain on the stovetop on Low heat until ready to serve.
- 5Stir in the orange marmalade towards the end of cooking.
- 6Add pecans just before serving.
- 7OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: Place sweet potatoes in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Sprinkle with all ingredients. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until potatoes are tender.
- 8CROCK POT INSTRUCTIONS: Place all ingredients in greased crock pot. Cook on High setting for 30 minutes. Turn heat to Low, stir occasionally and cook until tender (I haven't made these in the crock pot yet, so I don't know how long they will take -- maybe 6-8 hours if using fresh sweet potatoes).
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All-Time Best Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.2
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 99.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 25.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper