Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was devised from what I had on hand. I was asked to come up with a recipe for a fund raiser cookbook,this is how it was created. It is fast and the different textures make the salad interesting. It can be used as a base for additional ingredients for a main course.
- 1 bunch endive
- 1 bunch iceberg lettuce
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce (or any other leaf lettuce of your choice)
- 2 kirby cucumbers
- 1 bunch green onion
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 3⁄4 cup alfalfa sprout
- 1⁄2 cup green olives
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash cracked pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- Wash and dry a large salad bowl and rub with one clove garlic.
- Wash greens and dry well, place in bowl.
- Wash cucumbers, onions and rinse sprouts and parsley; defrost frozen peas and dry.
- Chop, dice or slice,your preference.
- Place greens in bowl.
- Add cucumber, peas and onions.
- Toss lightly.
- Top with sprouts and green olives.
- Mix the dressing, oil, wine, salt, black pepper, sugar, oregano.
- Mix with whisk and pour over salad when ready to serve.
- Serve with loaf of hot Italian bread.
- Very good and healthy for the New Year.
- You can transform this salad into a chef salad very easily with mild cheese provolone and your choice of cooked meat.
- bite sized pieces of chicken or shrimp.
- Use your imagination!
A very good salad! All those green colors made a very attractive dish. I don't know what a kirby cucumber is so I used an english cucumber. It was just great. I did leave out the olives, just not a favorite for this group. The dressing is wonderful. All the liberties I took here was to add more than a dash of cracked pepper! Great!! Thank you for the recipe, Babygeri