Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Spicy little cookies from Milan, made to celebrate All Souls Day on November the 2nd. Taken from mangiabenepasta.com and posted for ZWT7
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- confectioners' sugar (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar until well blended.
- Beat in the egg, orange zest, orange juice, and honey.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in the raisin and walnuts.
- Break off a piece of the dough about the size of a walnut.
- Shape the dough into a 2-1/2 inch sausage.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Press to slightly flatten the dough.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are puffed and set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 1 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cook completely.
- Dust the cookies with confectioners' sugar.
- Store in airtight containers.
- The cookies develop more flavor the longer they are stored.