Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An incredibly healthy savory sauce that I use as a base for everything - chili, spaghetti, lasagna, everything! I use all the surplus from my veggie garden for this recipe, then freeze the sauce. Making the base takes several hours to cook down, but then come winter, you can make spaghetti or lasagna in a flash!
- 2 large onions
- 2 cups green peppers, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 lbs tomatoes, any kind
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small fresh pumpkin
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 20 basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Scoop out the seeds from the pumpkin, and slice. Cook lightly in the microwave until soft. Cool.
- Roughly slice the peppers, onions and garlic. Lightly cook in a large dutch oven, until soft.
- Blend the tomatoes in a blender or food processor, then add cubes of zucchini and pumpkin, a bit at a time.
- Add the blended ingredients to the cooked peppers and onion.
- Cook down until the sauce for several hours until desired consistency.
- Cool, then freeze in plastic tubs or ziploc bags.