Recipe by foodtvfan
Makes about 10 cups. Store mixture in clean glass jars with tight-fitting lids. Good for chicken, pork, canned potatoes, and mashed potato puffs. You can remove the quantity of shake and bake you need for a recipe and then add some garlic powder,onion powder, thyme or any seasonings you like, for variety. Directions are given for chicken; adjust the baking time according to the thickness of the meat you are using.
Top Review by Cat^..^atude
This recipe is a dream.. As usual,shake and bake in a grocery store, is outragously overpriced, and I always refused to buy it. I cut this one down to 1/5, to see if I even liked it. I also cut back on the paprika, as I have done other recipes with it, and found it to be overpowering. I also cut the salt for health reasons. More can always be added at the table.. I was eager to try the mashed potatoes, and did that with instant.. They were yummy, yummy.. I plan on trying the canned potatoes at a later date. I always have a can of them,and instant, in my pantry cupboard for emergency purposes..Thanks for posting this recipe.. Anything that subsidizes a senior fixed income, is a bonus for sure. Cat^..^atude.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chicken soup base
- 8 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Moisten chicken pieces with either water, milk, tomato juice, canned broth, or beaten egg and milk mixture.
- Place about 1 or 2 Tablespoons of crumb mix for each piece of chicken in a plastic bag.
- Shake moistened chicken pieces individually until evenly coated. Place in single layer on a baking sheet with sides.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until tender and no longer pink inside.
- FOR CANNED POTATOES: Roll small whole canned potatoes, well drained and dried, in the shake and bake. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- FOR MASHED POTATO PUFFS:.
- Shape mashed potatoes (prepared with a little less milk) into small balls, or use leftover mashed potatoes with a bit of flour added.
- Dip in beaten egg and roll in shake and bake. Place potato balls in a single layer on a baking sheet with sides.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 to 25 minutes.