Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I originally concocted this recipe for a party I hostessed. I used it on chicken thighs and legs, but since then, I've tried it beef and pork, as well. I also think it would be awesome on tuna steaks or shrimp! I've also used Pineapple Coconut Juice and it's EXCELLENT. Enough for 3 lbs meat of choice.
- 3 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- meat or poultry, of your choice
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Allow meat to marinate in zip top baggies for 12 to 48 hours.
- Remove meat from bags and pour marinade into sauce pan. Bring to boil over medium high heat and for 10 minutes.
- Baste meat with marinade in between flips on the grill.
This was a great combination of flavors. We really enjoyed the pineapple juice and that the soy wasn't the dominant flavor, as is so often the case. I wasn't sure about the 5-spice but trusted the recipe & we're really glad I did! I marinated chicken thighs overnight and then just cooked them on the stove. I can't wait for summer weather when we can pull out the BBQ & try this marinade on everything else! Thanks, Savvy Hostess! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Thanks to Let's P-A-R-T-Y! event I found this recipe to try. The flavors of this marinade are soo good. We are so glad we had left overs for the next night. This recipe will be in our top 10 marinades to make again.