T. Woolfe's Note:
Having frozen dry meatballs is handier than pockets in a shirt. From subs to spaghetti/with they are another one of those things that make cooking well for one possible. This is a conglomeration of a number of recipes that seems to work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fine ground beef (At least 85%. Even better grind your own.)
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut to fit through the grinder
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs or 1/2 cup fine unseasoned breadcrumbs (plus some to roll them in)
- 1 small egg
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon old fashioned tasty and smelly blackstrap/sulphered molasses
- salt, to taste as you would a meat loaf.
- 1I mix the Panko ginger allspice salt and egg in a small bowl.
- 2Ginger, allspice, and Molasses MAY and likely SHOULD be increased Run it all, with the beef, through the FINE die on your food grinder.
- 3If you do not have a grinder, purchase the beef fine grind, at least twice through the grinder.
- 4And chop the onion fine in your food processor.
- 5I'm looking here for a very dense end product.
- 6Mix well by hand.
- 7Form into no-larger-than-pingpong ball size.
- 8Roll lightly in that excess Panko or bread crumbs I forgot to tell you to put in a plate.
- 9Place on a grill rack, Hopefully fine grate enough so they don't fall through.
- 10Oven at 400 (preheat).
- 11Bake about 20 min OR until that instant thermometer reads 145+.
- 12Let them cool completely and put what you're not going to use now in a freezer bag.
- 13That extra roll in Panko keeps them loose in the bag.
- 14For use?
- 15Put the balls and some (jarred) pasta sauce, gravy, whatever you fancy in the microwave to heat.
- 16Place in/on bun, spaghetti, hash browned or mashed potatoes, rice, or whatever the spirit moves you to.
- 17It's a handy meal-in-a-hurry.
- 18Enjoy and let me know any other uses you can find.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All Purpose Freezer Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (680 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 38.7 mg
- Sodium 63.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 8.1 g