Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I make a LOT of homemade soups in the winter, we get TONS of lake-effect snow here, and get snowed in a lot. Soup always hits the spot on a cold, wintery day!
- Saute over low heat, herbs and spices, onions, carrot and celery til very, very soft in butter.
- Mash well or puree in blender or food chopper/processor.
- Stir in flour, cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Do not brown.
- In large pot, bring chicken broth and milk to a boil.
- Drop flour mixture in by spoonfulls, stirring, low-boil til thickened, stirring.
- *At this point, you can add whatever cooked ingredients your heart desires! Any cooked meats, sea food, vegetables, rice, etc.!
- Stir in cream, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream.
I was so worried about making this soup base recipe. Thought I would mess it up terribly but it was really quite easy. After adding the flour mixture I did use canned asparagus cut into small chunks to make cream of asparagus soup. We enjoyed the soup and will be making this base recipe often with other vegetables.
I used this recipe as a substitute for the Cream Of Mushroom soup when I made Chicken Dinner Pot Pie. It was creamy and deliciously flavored. I can see I will be using this often now that I have found such a great substitute for Cream Of anything soup! Christina
Great recipe! I used it in place of canned Cream of Mushroom Soup, and added fresh button mushrooms, to make a Chicken Lasagna I was making. Came out GREAT! Also, I used homemade chicken stock in place of the canned chicken broth. I will be using this recipe from now on in place of those salty soups.