Recipe by Wildflour
I make a LOT of homemade soups in the winter, we get TONS of lake-effect snow here, and get snowed in a lot. Soup always hits the spot on a cold, wintery day!
Top Review by lauralie41
I was so worried about making this soup base recipe. Thought I would mess it up terribly but it was really quite easy. After adding the flour mixture I did use canned asparagus cut into small chunks to make cream of asparagus soup. We enjoyed the soup and will be making this base recipe often with other vegetables.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth, 4 1/3 cups
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute over low heat, herbs and spices, onions, carrot and celery til very, very soft in butter.
- Mash well or puree in blender or food chopper/processor.
- Stir in flour, cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Do not brown.
- In large pot, bring chicken broth and milk to a boil.
- Drop flour mixture in by spoonfulls, stirring, low-boil til thickened, stirring.
- *At this point, you can add whatever cooked ingredients your heart desires! Any cooked meats, sea food, vegetables, rice, etc.!
- Stir in cream, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream.