1/1 Photo of All Pumpkins' Night Stew
3 hrs 30 mins
Despite the name this stew has no pumpkin. It is traditionally served on Halloween and for the harvest festival. I found this on Allrecipes.com. This is a German recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 7 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium- high heat. Stir in garlic and onion, and cook until softened and translucent; remove from pan. Pour 2 tablespoons canola oil into Dutch oven. While this heats, mix the beef with salt and pepper. Sear the beef in batches until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in caraway seeds and flour, cook until flour is incorporated and the caraway seed is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 3Pour in beef broth; add bay leaves, sugar, nutmeg, and onion mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- 4Stir in the potatoes and carrots; continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 5Stir together the cornstarch and water; stir into the stew along with the parsley. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All Pumpkins' Night Stew
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.5
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 98.8 mg
- Sodium 608.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 28.8 g