Recipe by Mary Butterfield
Combines Mashed Potatoes with Pepperjack Cheese & Spinach
Top Review by Darkhunter
Like Bergy, I thought these needed a little more zip. I decided to follow Bergy's advice also on the flour. I didn't roll them in it, at all, and they turned out fine. If you like spinach, you'll like these little appies. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Mary. Made for kck's forum.
- 4 potatoes, peeled boiled and mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly brush a baking tray with vegetable oil or spray with vegetable spray.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, spinach and eggs.
- Beat with mixer until well-blended.
- Season with nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Add the cheese and 4 tablespoons of the flour.
- Stir until flour is well-blended.
- Spread the remaining flour onto a glass plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Using two teaspoons, form the spinach mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Drop the spinach balls onto the flour-covered plate.
- Roll the spinach balls in the flour to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Serve plain or sprinkle with lemon juice.