Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Combines Mashed Potatoes with Pepperjack Cheese & Spinach
- 4 potatoes, peeled boiled and mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly brush a baking tray with vegetable oil or spray with vegetable spray.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, spinach and eggs.
- Beat with mixer until well-blended.
- Season with nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Add the cheese and 4 tablespoons of the flour.
- Stir until flour is well-blended.
- Spread the remaining flour onto a glass plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Using two teaspoons, form the spinach mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Drop the spinach balls onto the flour-covered plate.
- Roll the spinach balls in the flour to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Serve plain or sprinkle with lemon juice.
Like Bergy, I thought these needed a little more zip. I decided to follow Bergy's advice also on the flour. I didn't roll them in it, at all, and they turned out fine. If you like spinach, you'll like these little appies. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Mary. Made for kck's forum.
Followed recipe and instructions exactly - took 1/2 hour in the oven and still not completely browned. This may partially be my fault as quite a bit of flour clung to the balls so I caution others be light with the flour. For my taste I think they need a bit more zip but I rectified that by serving them with a chili sauce as a dip. Nice combination of ingredients. I am freezing some and will add to this review when I try them Thanks Mary this is a very nice appetizer
These are SO good!! I followed the directions exactly and they were great!