Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mom used to make this with Velveeta. I use natural cheeses and more vegetables. Can be vegetarian or may be made with chicken.
- 1 lb chicken breast (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans (cannellini, navy, butter)
- 12 cups chicken stock (may substitute c. water plus bouillon)
- 6 celery ribs
- 3 onions
- 4 red potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag mixed vegetables (peas, corn, beans, Lima beans)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegetables (Birds Eye Normandy Blend with carrots, zuccini, cauliflower, and broccoli)
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence (optional)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces havarti cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces gouda cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Remove cheese from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Dice chicken and put in the bottom of the stock pot. When thoroughly cooked, add chicken stock, diced celery, onion, and potatoes, beans, frozen vegetables, and Herbes De Providence. If necessary, add water to cover vegetables. Bring to simmer and cook to desired firmness. While simmering, make cheese sauce.
- Heat heavy cream in a double boiler or large microwave bowl. Stir often and heat slowly to avoid scorching. Bring to boil. Add cheeses, salt and pepper, stirring to incorporate. Reheat if necessary to melt.
- Add cheese sauce to soup before serving. Salt and pepper to taste.