Recipe by Abby Girl
The reason for homemade toothpaste is to get away from all the harmful additives and preservatives that are generally added to regular toothpaste. Sodium Laurel Sulphite is a sudsing agent used in any product that "bubbles" eg: soap, shampoo, toothpaste, bubble bath, laundry soap, and I have seen it in some foods ( I am not sure why this would be added....is it to de-grease your insides??). This sudsing agent, in its pure form can actually burn the skin and the commercial use is to de-grease airplanes This is usually the second ingredient in most sudsing products. People who have sensitive or dry skin that is constantly irritated may not be aware of this product. If you are having problems finding the Myrrh Gum Powder, leave this out and add 30 drops of pure Tea Tree Oil, leaving the Peppermint out. (Please realize the computer could not recognize this) Watch the grade of the eso you buy....you do want Pure Tea Tree Oil for this application. Some of the cheaper brands are diluted with Jojoba Oil, but this will be printed on the bottle. This toothpaste does take some getting use to, but in the long run your teeth and mouth are going to thank you. Since I have been using this paste my teeth are clean and white, the plaque is down, I do not get mouth ulcers, my breath is clean, my colds are down and my general health has improved. Can't ask for anything better than that!
- 1⁄4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons clay (kaolin)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon gum paste (use Myrrh Gum Powder, the computer did not recognize this)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon emu oil (or any other quality carrier oil Almond, Jojoba, Olive)
- 15 drops peppermint oil
- 15 drops tea tree oil
- 1 teaspoon glycerine (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vitamin E (or caplet squeezed out)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients and put it in a 4 oz or 125 ml container.
- To use: The product will seperate, so with the end of your toothbrush or a chop stick, stir the ingredients together. Brush your teeth as usual. You would probably get a longer shelf life if you do not put your toothbrush directly into the pot because of all the bacterial that is on the brush.
- Myrrh Gum Powder: help with removing the plaque from the teeth.
- Emu Oil: This oil has the reputation of many healing benefits. It is expensive but worth every penny if you are serious about getting into making quality products.
- Tea Tree Oil: The properties are Antibiotic, Antifungal, Antiseptic, Antiviral, Detoxifying, Insecticide, Stimulant and its uses: Age Spots, Athlete's Foot, Boils, Burns, Catarrh, Colds, Corns, Cystitis, Dandruff, Fungal, Fungal Infections, Immune System Booster ,Itching (from insect bites, chicken pox, etc.), Sunburn, Warts.
- Vitamin E; Besides the healing aspect of Vitamin E, this also works as a preservative.
- Perxoide could be used, but use in a small dose (1/4 tsp to 1 tsp).
- Because of the lack of stronger preservatives, this paste does have a shelf life of approximately a year. If it looks "off" discard and make up a fresh batch.
- If you are having problems finding any of these products, email me and I will direct you to an internet carrier.