Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
With the crisp, autumn weather comes the apple harvest! Surrounded by perfect, juicy apples, I had to come up with some way to make a sugar-free apple crisp. Here is what we ended up with, using natural sweeteners, instead of processed sugar.
- 5 -6 apples, cored and peeled
- 1 cup oats (quick-cooking or other)
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (i really mean maple cream, but it is not recognizing ingredient)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place apples in a greased 9x9 pan. Combine oats, shortening, and flour in a bowl. Cut with pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add honey and maple cream. Top apples with oat mixture. Bake until browned and bubbly, 25-35 minutes. Serve warm with a latté, instead of ice cream.