Recipe by Doug2
I never thought I'd like a Chili recipe that didn't have beans, but this one got rave reviews. Tequila and orange give this a unique flavor.
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground turkey, crumbled
- 1 orange
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 small dried hot red chili pepper, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- sour cream, to garnish
- fresh cilantro stem, to garnish
- avocado, slices for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any casings from sausages, crumble meat into a large, deep, heavy frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until lightly browned. Mix in ground turkey and cook until it begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, grate zest and squeeze juice from orange; set aside.
- To sausage and turkey, add onion and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is soft and lightly browned. Mix in garlic, salt, paprika, cumin, cloves and dried chili pepper. Stir in orange zest and juice, tomatoes plus their juices, tomato paste and tequila. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour.
- If chili is too thin for your taste, uncover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking.
- Serve garnished with sour cream, avocado and cilantro.