Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I thought this was my mom's Swiss steak. When I made it the first time my 15 year old son (who hates carrots) ate all the leftovers reheated the next day. I fixed it for my mother and she raved on it. I asked her if this was the way she used to fix it. She laughed; her comment was I never cooked anything like this. She asked me for the recipe.
- round steak (I use the cheapest cuts of meat even a small roast and have never found this to taste different.)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion
- 4 large carrots
- Cut steak into approximately 2x4 pieces; flour and braise in hot oil until browned on each side.
- Put into baking pan (include all the browned flour and oil from the frying pan this helps thicken the sauce)
- In baking pan put in the 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1 chopped up onion . and 1 cup of water.
- Grate the 4 carrots into the sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for approximately 2 hours. The sauce will thicken and can be used over potatoes or rice.
- If I use this combination over rice I include one can of pineapple.
- All the kids will eat carrots cooked this way.